WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
Bayside Council haven't told people what to expect if
Elsternwick Park South is redeveloped for use by junior AFL teams .
This is the likely reality;
- AFL practice sessions EVERY WEEK NIGHT during winter under lights
- Ovals used for AFL matches ALL DAY every Sunday during winter (and other sport on Saturdays). Cricket all weekend during summer.
- Hundreds of additional people and cars at the park - all
parking taken up around the park and nearby streets (Horton
Close, Foot St, Drake St, Harwood St, Murphy St, Joyce St,
- Traffic congestion in local streets, including New Street,
which is a main road artery into Brighton
- Noise and light pollution impacting wild-life in the park.
- Possible tension between casual park users and organised sport users
- Devaluation of all adjacent property
To see what happens, visit Hurlingham Park at midday on a Sunday!
News reports on behaviour at some
junior footy matches
Under-15 girls footy match abandoned after spectators brawl
Melton South junior coach sacked mid-game for fight with player
Lifetime ban likely for Australian rules player that struck teenage umpire
Police called to another ugly incident at junior footy match
Former AFL star Glenn Archer convicted, fined over assault at junior football
'Carnage': Police investigating junior footy brawl at Hoppers Crossing